St. John's Episcopal Church
Walk the grounds of this historic landmark, St. John's Episcopal Church which was consecrated in 1842 by James Hervey Otey, first Episcopal Bishop of Tennessee. This church was built by Leonidas Polk, Missionary Bishop of Southwest, and his three brothers, George, Lucius, and Rufus - cousins of President James K. Polk - who divided a grant received from their father, Col. William Polk of North Carolina. The land and material for the church was donated by the brothers and built by slaves. It was a plantation church meant to provide a place of worship for the Polk families, their slaves, and neighbors. Seating at the church was never segregated which was quite unusual for the period.
During the Civil War, St. John’s was used as a Confederate hospital, although it did not see many patients. Union troops briefly occupied the church and although they did not cause great damage, they did carry off the organ pipes. Behind St. John’s is the traditional churchyard burial ground where several Civil War Generals were buried.
Visit the grounds and cemetery of St. John's Church at 6497 Trotwood Avenue, Columbia, in the Ashwood community.
St. Peter's Episcopal Church
St. Peter's Episcopal Church is a historic church located at 311 W. 7th Street in Columbia, just 3 blocks from the county courthouse on the square and next door to the James K. Polk Home and Sister's House.
St. Peter's was built in 1860.