On October 12, 1857, Robert Whitaker sold to Daniel J. Pigg a tract of land on the Duck River. In this deed it allowed for a plot of land to be given to the Maury County School Commissioners. This was the beginning of Pigg Schoolhouse, 1884.
The school was in operation until the 1920s. Charlie Skillington purchased it, and it was used as a tenant house and a grainery.
In 2003, it was given to Charlie Pigg by John Robert Skillington and was moved from its location on Pigg Schoolhouse Road to Mingo Branch Road where it was restored. Today it remains privately owned.
Freedman's Bureau School
The first Spring Hill Freedman's Bureau school was started by a Union soldier from Harmony, IL, who felt it was his duty to return to the south with his family and help to educate the newly freed African Americans. His name was Henry C. Eddy and he felt this population was, in his own words, “eager to learn and well-behaved.”
The original school opened in September 1865 in an old cow shed. Eddy personally shoveled out the manure and placed wooden planks around the space for his 39 new students. Two weeks later, enrollment had grown up to 57 students! Classes continued in the cowshed as funds were raised to build a new school in the church.
Another school was started in 1865 at the community called Rutherford Creek at the J.B. Bunch Farm on Green Mills Road. It was established by an African American named Jeb Rodon, opening with 16 students. In recent years, the building was moved to Rippavilla and is on display to the public. An 1860 census shows that there were 9 slaves in 2 slave houses on the Bunch Farm, and it is believed that one of these cabins was used for the school after the civil war.